An e-visa for India is what you need to avoid all kinds of travel hassles these days.
With the increased duration of stay and multiple entries, it gets even better.
Further, you can get it for various purposes as required.
What exactly is an e-visa
Electronic visa granted to foreign nationals. It enables you to enter into a particular country (for example India).
All of your personal information along with your reason to travel is stored electronically.
The Visa authority sends you a copy (electronic) of your visa to your registered e-mail id.
What is it mostly issued for?
E-visa is majorly issued for the sole purpose of a short term stay in a foreign country.
As an applicant, you can request for an e-visa if you are visiting for-
- Short term business stay
- Sports activities
- Cultural, scientific or humanitarian activities.
- Tourism purposes.
- Visit of relatives/friends
For what purposes can I get an e-visa for India?
Currently, you can get it for-
- Tourism purposes: You can visit all the places you desire and can tick off your travel list.
The duration is 1 year.
But remember, you cannot stay more than 180 days at a stretch (for US, UK, Japan, Canada).
For the rest of the countries, the duration for staying is 90 days.
However, multiple entries are allowed.
- Business purposes: You can get it for 1 year. Rest, the duration limit is the same as a tourist visa.
- Medical purposes: If you travel India on medical treatment or the kind, you are granted 60 days to get it done.
*Triple entry is the allowed limit
- Medical-Attendant: People accompanying as medical attendants can avail the same benefits of staying and coming back.
- Conference Purposes: Whether it’s a political reason or an event to join, you need to apply for a conference visa. You can stay for a maximum of 30 days for the same with a single entry.
Do I need to get it for India when arriving from the US? Why?
Yes, you do need to get it before you land in India.
Whether you are an adult or are accompanying your child, getting a visa beforehand is mandatory.
India follows the same regulations as the US in terms of entering the country. This is why you would need a visa to India.
What if I am coming from other parts of the world?
There is no need to worry about that. At present, passport holders of the following 166 countries are eligible for an e-visa.
- Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Albania, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia
- Bahamas, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Burundi
- Cyprus, Czech Republic, Cambodia, Cameroon Union Republic, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, Croatia, Cuba, Colombia East Timor.
- Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic
- Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia
- Fiji, Finland, France
- Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece
- Hong Kong, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary
- Ireland, Israel, Italy, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran
- Jamaica, Japan, Jordan
- Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Kenya
- Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg
- Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Myanmar Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Macau, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands
- Namibia, Niger Republic, Niue Island, Norway, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua
- Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay
- The Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Rwanda
- South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands
- Taiwan, Tobago, Turks and Caicos Island, Tuvalu Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad
- United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, UAE, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan
- Venezuela, Vietnam, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See
- Zambia and Zimbabwe
What is the best site to apply for Indian e-visa?
Applying for an Indian e-visa is easy and worry-free. Just log onto their official site and you are good to go.
However, Cox and Kings Global Services are the official partners of providing visa for India in the US.
How am I eligible for applying? Is there a rule on that?
Yes, there are a set of regulations you must adhere to before applying for an e-visa. They are-
- You travel should majorly be for- medical treatment, short term business, visiting friends and relatives, recreational activities.
- Your passport must have a minimum of six months validity from the date of visa application.
- Your passport must have a minimum of two blank pages for stamping by the Immigration Officer.
- Proof of leaving the country i.e return tickets to confirm your stay is limited.
- If traveling with children/infants, get separate e-visas and passports for them as well.
What documents should I have before applying for an e-visa?
The following documents are required for applying for an e-visa:
- A valid passport with a minimum validity for 6 months.
- Passport size photographs.
How much does an e-visa for India cost from America?
It is $100. And you have to pay that in advance before you get your approval. Additionally, the fee is non-transferrable and non-refundable.
How long does the process take to get an e-visa?
It takes a minimum of 3 days for your application to be processed & accepted. The acceptance criteria shall be on the basis of your country and the reason to visit. So, make sure you apply early.
- You don’t have to visit the embassy physically for visa interview
- You can apply by visiting the official embassy website
- The fee varies according to countries. For the US it is $100 at present.
What benefits can I get from an e-visa?
- Obtaining an e-visa is not time or place-bound. With a valid passport and internet access, you can get it anytime and anywhere.
- Saves a lot of time of yours at the airport and back home
- Does not require you to be physically present in an embassy
Can my e-visa get rejected?
Not necessarily but the immigration authority may reject it on account of-
- Missing important information
- Having a validity period of less than 6 months from the date of your travel.
- Wrong information regarding your visa application form
- Not specifying your visa type
- No proof or intention of returning back from India
How is the experience of obtaining an Indian visa on arrival?
It is smooth when you have applied beforehand. Just go to the immigration counter, complete the formalities and you are done.
You would have to fill the Foreigners Arrival Form and get your visa stamped. A little more formalities here and there and you are set to go.
Do I need permission to travel North-Eastern India?
Except for Arunachal and Sikkim, you can travel to the other North-Eastern states without any official permission.
You would have to get an Inner Line Permit and Protected Area Permit for traveling to the border areas of these two states and a special permit to enter these states.
Elaborately speaking, it includes Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, some parts of Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Ladakh, Sikkim, Rajasthan.
**Remember that if you are of Pakistani descent or your grandparents stayed there, you would have to apply for a traditional visa. E-visa would not be granted to you.
Do US citizens need to get immunized to travel to India?
Yes, you do need to get yourself inoculated according to the recommendations of WHO and CDC. This saves you from a lot of trouble regarding infections and immunizes you beforehand.
Below is the list-
A vaccine for typhoid, Japanese encephalitis, measles, meningitis, polio, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, Yellow fever, cholera, rabies, rubella and mumps along with chickenpox, Tdap, influenza, shingles, and pneumonia.
How long in advance should US citizens apply for the e-Visa for India?
Start anywhere between 4-5 days as per convenience. This allows you to have ample time for getting things right.
Remember your ETA will not be calculated as the entry date.
Your validity of the visa begins the day your visa gets approved.
Getting an e-visa to travel India is an option. You must consider it if you want to have a worry-free trip these days.